Ericsson's (NASDAQ:ERIC) annual Sustainability and Corporate Responsibility report entitled "Technology for Good", released today, confirms the company's belief on the transformational power of Information and Communications Technology (ICT) to spur socio-economic development and put us on the path of a low-carbon economy has never been greater.
Hans Vestberg, Ericsson President and CEO, commented "We anchor our approach to sustainability and corporate responsibility in the triple bottom line of responsible social, economic and environmental development. We continuously raise the bar on our own sustainability performance, and seek to deepen our understanding of stakeholders' top concerns. This way of doing business is essential to our success."
Highlights of the report include:
Energy efficient solutions
The ICT industry can help lead the transition to a low-carbon economy through greater resource efficiency. The ICT sector contributes about 2 percent of global carbon dioxide emissions, but can potentially offset a significant portion of the remaining 98 percent from other industries. Ericsson's research indicates that the increase in overall energy consumption from ICT will be moderate, thanks to gains in network energy efficiency, through 2020. Some efforts we have made on the networks include
Sustainable cities and urbanization
In 2011, Ericsson's CEO chaired the Climate Change Working Group of the Broadband Commission, which delivered a report that made high-level policy recommendations on ICT's role in tackling climate change, "The Broadband Bridge: Linking ICT with Climate Action for a Low-Carbon Economy."
Connectivity is a basic enabler for economic growth and improved quality of life. ICT facilitates education, financial services, health, safety and security, and livelihoods. With more than six billion mobile subscriptions, innovative approaches are needed to address the "last" billion users at the base of the pyramid. Ericsson focused on two reports, and a number of initiatives, to highlight this potential:
Our stakeholders expect Ericsson to uphold high standards within business ethics. While telecommunication can enable many positive impacts, Ericsson also recognizes that technology can be misused, which brings new ethical challenges. We seek to encourage the use of technology as a force for good rather than a tool that can be used against democratic principles, and during 2011 we committed to work actively with the new UN Guiding Principles for Business and Human Rights, and strengthened internal due diligence processes in light of this.
"We work with diverse stakeholders to help transform Technology for Good into reality, with concrete initiatives and innovative solutions, research, advocacy and social media outreach that serve as a catalyst for change," says Elaine Weidman-Grunewald, Vice President Sustainability and Corporate Responsibility, Ericsson. Visit our website, read our report and join us on Facebook and Twitter to learn more about our initiatives and progress.
NOTES TO EDITORS
Pictures of Hans Vestberg available at:
Ericsson's Sustainability and Corporate Responsibility website:
Our multimedia content is available at the broadcast room:
Ericsson is the world's leading provider of communications technology and services. We are enabling the Networked Society with efficient real-time solutions that allow us all to study, work and live our lives more freely, in sustainable societies around the world.
Our offering comprises services, software and infrastructure within Information and Communications Technology for telecom operators and other industries. Today more than 40 percent of the world's mobile traffic goes through Ericsson networks and we support customers' networks servicing more than 2 billion subscribers.
We operate in 180 countries and employ more than 100,000 people. Founded in 1876, Ericsson is headquartered in Stockholm, Sweden. In 2011 the company had revenues of SEK 226.9 billion (USD 35.0 billion). Ericsson is listed on NASDAQ OMX, Stockholm and NASDAQ, New York stock exchanges.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT
Ericsson Corporate Public & Media Relations
Phone: +46 10 719 69 92
Ericsson Investor Relations
Phone: +46 10 719 00 00
- Building B86, Smart Village, KM 28, Alex. Desert Rd. - 27-12577 Cairo -Egypt