In most industries, patents are primarily used to protect an invention from use by competitors. In the telecom industry this is not always the case; patents play an active role in advancing technology through standardization and licensing.
At Ericsson, we are committed to making those patents that are essential for developing standards widely available via licensing. This benefits established companies, while also enabling new enterprises to enter the telecom market.
We are also committed to – and strong advocates for – ensuring that licenses are available on fair, reasonable and non-discriminatory (FRAND) terms that compensate the companies that invest in developing standards.
During negotiations for our licensing programs, the potential licensee has the opportunity to validate the basis on which we claim that a patent is essential. More than a decade of such negotiations, with over 100 companies, confirms that we have the strongest GSM and WCDMA patent portfolio in the industry.
And we expect to maintain this leading position beyond 2G and 3G standards. For the 3GPP LTE standard, for example, we expect to hold some 25 percent of essential patents, making us the largest single holder.
Here is a selection of our licensing programs:
- 3GPP Core Network
- 3GPP IMS (IP Multimedia Subsystem)
- 3GPP GSM/GPRS GERAN
- 3GPP GSM/GPRS MS
- 3GPP LTE RAN
- 3GPP LTE UE
- 3GPP TD-SCDMA UE
- 3GPP TD-SCDMA UTRAN
- 3GPP WCDMA/HSPA UE
- 3GPP WCDMA/HSPA UTRAN
- 3GPP2 cdma2000
- 3GPP/OMA MMS (Multimedia Messaging Service)
- 3GPP/OMA WAP (Wireless Application Protocol)
- 3GPP MBMS (Multimedia Broadcast Multicast Service)
- OMA IMPS (Instant Messaging and Presence Service)
- ETSI DVB-H (Digital Video Broadcasting - Handheld)
- ETSI DECT (Digital Enhanced Cordless Telecommunications)
- ETSI TETRA (Terrestrial Trunked Radio)
- TIA IS-95
- ITU H.323
- ITU xDSL
- ITU SDH/ANSI SONET (Synchronous Digital Hierarchy/Synchronous Optical Netw.)
- ISO JPEG2000
- IEEE 802.3 Ethernet
- IEEE 802.11 - W-LAN
- IEEE 802.16 - WiMAX
- CCITT ATM (Asynchronous Transfer Mode)
- AMR Codec (Adaptive Multi-Rate)
- Cellular positioning & LBS (Locations Based Services)
- Security (e.g. 3GPP AKA)
- Enterprise Solutions
- Graphics & Multimedia
- I.N. (Intelligent Networks)
- Antenna & Antenna Near Technologies
- MMIC (Monolithic Microwave Integrated Circuit)
- Mobile Platforms
- EriRoHC, Robust Header Compression integration solution compliant with IETF RFC3095 (part of 3GPP and 3GPP2).
- sRIO, serial Rapid/O Micro TCA Carrier Hub design.
- HEMCT, High Efficiency Multi Carrier Transceiver design suitable for e.g. CDMA base stations
- CDMA-node: PDSN - Packet Data Serving Node (Linux)
- DVB-H (Digital Video Broadcasting –H)
- Power Amplification design, PA+ (GaAs PA design)
- A-bis interface for manufacturers of measurement equipment
- Iub interface for manufacturers of measurement equipment
- IMS Cx interface for manufacturers of measurement equipment
- Product Dashboard - Product Management supporting system (web application).
- Simulators - SW-modules for generating certain distinct (characteristics) IP-traffic (e.g. Voice, Data, SMS, MMS).
- TrustTrade, Trusted party Internet payment solution.
For further information, please contact