Ericsson Evolved Packet Gateway, together with SGSN-MME, is a critical component of Evolved Packet Core (EPC). It is part of the Ericsson end-to-end solution for rapid deployment of a highly scalable and reliable LTE network.
Service providers use the Evolved Packet Gateway as a gateway between their mobile packet core network and other packet data networks, such as the Internet, corporate intranets, and private data networks.
The Evolved Packet Gateway can be deployed as a native node or as virtual network functions in the following modes or combinations thereof:
1. GGSN only functionality
2. Combined Serving-GW and PDN-GW
3. As a combined GGSN, Serving and PDN GW
Customers with existing Ericsson Evolved Packet Gateway for their 3GPP networks can easily upgrade to LTE via a software upgrade. The high performance Evolved Packet Gateway supports previous 3GPP wireless technologies (2G, 2G+, and 3G) in addition to non 3GPP based access, both trusted (CDMA, trusted Wi-Fi hotspots) and non-trusted (non-trusted Wi-Fi hotspots). It can support all of these, i.e., multi-access, simultaneously.
Constructing the LTE network with Ericsson Evolved Packet Gateway, running on SSR 8000, offers the ability to integrate other services within the same node as the market demands, such as Wi-Fi Mobility Gateway and Multi-Service Proxy for web content download optimization.
Ericsson is an active and committed member of 3GPP and support standardization for the purpose of a future-proof evolution.
Ericsson EPG is simple to manage, offers high performance, high scalability and high availability. Key features and characteristics include:
• Tiered services with dynamic QoS setting per end-user device
• Integrated deep packet inspection (DPI) functionality
• Telecom-grade reliability with full session resilience
• Scalability to 30M IP Sessions and 60M bearers
• Scalability of Transactions per Second: 300K+ – this is a very important variant for LTE network stability
• Throughput of hundreds of Gbps
• Low power consumption – 40W per 100k PDP
• Space and weight efficient with 0.00063 square meters per 100k PDP and 0.49KG per 100K PDP
• Full compliance with 3GPP standards
The high-capacity, advanced functionality and low power consumption of the EPG make it ideal for handling increasing mobile broadband traffic, allowing operators to capitalize on their investments.
The Deep Packet Inspection and Service Classification features detect different types of traffic, and can be used for traffic shaping purposes under different network load conditions. This enhances the user experience resulting in innovative business models and greater user satisfaction and loyalty.
As the trend toward a consolidated multi-service mobile infrastructure continues to emerge, the 20-slot SSR 8020 has the capacity and flexibility to support further network functions such as IP/MPLS routing, L2/L3 VPN and content caching.
Ericsson Inc. - 6300 Legacy Drive - 75024, Plano -United States -Phone: +1 972 583 0000