5G-Transformer EU project underway
18 European industrial and academic partners have launched the 5G-Transformer project to define and develop an innovative 5G Mobile Transport Network Platform to support low latency vertical services. The platform will be SDN/NFV-based and target industries with a diverse set of networking and computing requirements.
The 5G-TRANSFORMER concept originates from standard technological frameworks for slicing, namely Network Function Virtualization (NFV), Software Defined Networking (SDN), and Mobile Edge Computing (MEC). Multiple domains and infrastructure providers are federated, for networking and computing, into a single platform where multiple transport slices will be created and managed.
5G-TRANSFORMER envisions three main architectural building blocks:
- Vertical Slicer for supporting the creation and management of slices to verticals;
- Service Orchestrator for end-to-end service orchestration and federation of resources from multiple domains;
- Mobile Transport Computing Platform as the underlying integrated fronthaul and backhaul transport.
The project will focus on the following activities to accelerate the deployment of mobile transport network slices tailored to vertical industries (with special focus on low latency):
- Develop mechanisms for enabling dynamic creation and management of slices for vertical industries through abstraction, simple interfaces, and service blueprints.
- Evolve the 5GEx cross-domain orchestration and federation mechanisms and apply them to the mobile transport network, considering interworking with the domains of vertical industries.
- Augment the current design of the underlying 5G-Crosshaul transport network by integrating emerging MEC service platform deemed necessary for the support of vertical industries.
The concept will be designed, developed, and demonstrated for three vertical industries: eHealth, Automotive, and Media & Entertainment, in addition to the more conventional mobile (virtual) network operator scenario. Trials are scheduled at different test beds in Europe during the project in 2018 and 2019.
The 5G-Transformer project is part of the EU H2020 5GPPP infrastructure and will leverage solutions developed in phase-1 projects, such as 5G-Crosshaul and 5GEx. Consortium partners include leading telecom industry vendors, operators, IT companies, small and medium-sized enterprises, and academic institutions.
Ericsson hosted the project kick-off in Kista on June 1st.
Read more about the project on their website