Benefits of VoLTE
When going for an all-IP based voice network, there are opportunities to start modernizing the voice service experience for your customers with better quality and new types of use cases. Now you can not only enable voice and SMS on smartphones, but also start extending to new types of voice related use cases, video communication, and collaboration during conversations across different kinds of devices, such as smartwatches, tablets, smart speakers, laptops, TVs, IoT devices and more. An all-IP based network establishes a strong foundation for basic voice and enables the creation of these new kinds of offerings on top of the standard monthly data/voices/SMS bundles. Stay relevant for your customers to increase revenue, reduce churn and attract new customers.
Benefits of using VoLTE for your communication services offering
Extend voice calls to more devices
- Innovate and secure add-on revenues with targeted offerings using new functionality like video calling, multi-device with call transfer between your own devices, several numbers on the same phone etc.
- Get great reach for these services over LTE and Wi-Fi
Better call experience
- VoLTE enables simultaneous LTE data surfing and voice calls (i.e. do not fallback to 2G or 3G coverage while making a voice call)
- Faster call set-up times than in 2G/3G networks (around 1.5 sec in LTE vs around 3.5-5 seconds in 2G/3G) and also enables quicker availability to supplementary services
- Improved voice quality with new codec for HD voice (AMR-WB) is default on LTE/VoLTE enabled smartphones
- The next generation voice codec technology, HD voice+ (3GPP standardized, Evolved Voice Service (EVS)) provides users with even better voice quality than HD voice. HD voice+ provides a significantly better voice quality in the entire LTE cell, i.e. all the way out to the cell edge
- Enable Wi-Fi calling to improve indoor voice coverage. Seamless voice handover between LTE and Wi-Fi
Address the untapped business and enterprise communication services segments
- Use native dialer with high-quality voice calls building on VoLTE (Quality-of service), combined with business and enterprise collaboration capabilities also for enterprise users
- Add on unified communication offerings with enterprise collaboration capabilities on top of the VoLTE network
- Add on small business communication and collaboration services (mashup of VoLTE and WebRTC)
- Enable voice over IoT for different consumer-to-business and business-to business applications
Learn more about VoLTE and what kind of services that could be enabled and monetized:
- VoLTE–how it can modernize your voice service offering
- Podcast summary: Unlock potential with communication services
- Why VoLTE means services to monetize
Learn more about what HD voice+ (EVS) is and what benefit it brings
Here is an example of a solution to bring your VoLTE for consumer network capabilities also to enterprise users
There are several aspects to explore when it comes to voice for IoT explore, earn more here
Evolve the core network to all-IP and have the latest network technologies for efficiency, advanced use cases, and be ready for 5G. With ever increasing capacity and time to market demands, it will be most cost-efficient to run the whole network over IP using cloud technology. While circuit switched networks will still be used for many years in most networks, be prepared to re-farm circuit switched voice networks as needed. This decision depends on what kind of overall radio network strategy and coverage plans you have for 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G.
Benefits of transforming to VoLTE based network
- Modernize the voice service by transitioning to more efficient all-IP networks, also bringing better capabilities to implement new user services beyond voice and SMS
- Service providers have started to migrate 2G/3G networks to LTE-only. In this case VoLTE is needed to provide a voice service on LTE smartphones
- Reduce the amount of transcoding, and cut cost for specialized transcoding equipment
- Get better voice benchmark ratings in LTE networks (voice + data combined)
- Realize benefits of NFV and cloud for a modern and future-proof network
- Single infrastructure - VNFs that run on any OS and x86 HW
- Automation - enable quicker installation and integration, simplification and without complications or human errors. Automated delivery and testing
- Easier scalability– grow capacity at the pace needed, start in small steps and scale fast when traffic grow
The number of LTE has reached a total of 3.3 billion. The number of LTE subscriptions continues to grow strongly and is forecast to reach 5.4 billion by the end of 2024, when it will make up more than 60 percent of all mobile subscriptions.
On a global level, major 5G network deployments are anticipated from 2020, and by the end of 2024 we project 1.5 billion 5G subscriptions for enhanced mobile broadband. This will account for close to 17 percent of all mobile subscriptions at that time.
At the end of 2018, VoLTE subscriptions will be close to 1.4 billion. The number of VoLTE subscriptions is projected to reach 6 billion by the end of 2024, accounting for around 90 percent of combined LTE and 5G subscriptions.
- Voice over LTE outlook
Example operator case with great benchmark test results: World record HD voice quality using a cloud-based VoLTE network – VodafoneZiggo Netherlands
Learn from insights from leading NFV service providers
VoLTE has been agreed to be re-used in 5G networks to enable operator voice services. 5G requires to have IMS/VoLTE implemented in the network to enable 5G voice, so it is critical to deploy VoLTE soon before you introduce 5G smartphones, which will also require voice service capabilities.
Benefits of deploying VoLTE now to be prepared for 5G
- Re-use the installed base VoLTE network capabilities (core and radio) to enable voice calls on 5G smartphones
- Prepare your network to introduce new communication services that require 5G to work with high-quality and meshed with new use cases; better coverage and capacity for video calling, add-on AR/VR capabilities, and more futuristic services like, remote haptic control within calls, 3D and hologram communication et.c
- Utilize network slicing capabilities to introduce these new types of services in different ways towards different customer segments