EIA Competition guide
Stage 1 - Registration:
Register a team and submit your idea (deadline March 14, 2017)
Ericsson Innovation Awards Competition is open for all students who are currently enrolled and pursuing an associate, undergraduate, post-graduate or doctorate degree. All you need is an idea to improve the future of food in the spirit of the UN Sustainable Development Goal 12: Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns or Goal 2: Zero Hunger. Firstly, register your team and submit your idea on the submission page. Your team needs to consist of two-four people, and all members should be currently enrolled students.
Verify a problem and find a solution (deadline March 14, 2017)
To find, define and describe an important problem for the future of food is almost as important as finding a good solution. You can always continue developing your solution. Regarding your solution or concept it is important (1) that we understand how it is supposed to work and (2) that we can see it can be developed. Please upload the following items to the registration site to secure your place in the competition:
Problem and solution
- Describe the problem you see (Maximum 300 characters)
- Present your solution (innovation) to the problem (Maximum 500 characters)
Your innovation in detail
- Business plan of your innovation (Maximum 450 words in Word or PDF doc)
- Product / service description (Maximum 450 in Words word or PDF doc)
Stage 2 - The semi-finals (April 3 – April 28, 2016)
During the co-development process the ten semi-finalists will continue to develop their ideas. They will get expert feedback from Ericsson employees. Together they develop the concept and create a Minimum Viable Product.
Stage 3 - The finals
All 4 finalist teams will be flown in to Ericsson headquarters in Stockholm for HR interviews and a final award ceremony event. The event will be broadcasted for all participants to watch.
Evaluation criteria & Process
- How well the innovation addresses the theme - The future of food.
- The impact the innovation has on a sustainable level and on social responsibility issues.
- How well the team members have collaborated. Teams with members from different universities, main fields of study, backgrounds and nationalities will have the edge in the jury process.
- How global or local the innovation is; does it solve a problem or improve a situation on a small or large scale?
- Potential revenue or cost reduction for the customer purchasing the innovation. The business case should verify these numbers.
- How easy it is to develop and how fast it can get to market, explained in a constructive and concise manner.
- How easy it is for the potential customers to deploy, considering time, change of behavior, money. The benefits of the innovation (user or efficiency). What impact does the innovation have?
- Did the solution solve the problem in an innovative way?
- Has the innovation been taken to the next level in the form of a Lite-Prototype or Minimum Viable Product (MVP) in the semi-final process?
The competition is conducted in the stages as specified above. All text in the submissions must be in English and submissions in any other language will automatically be excluded from the competition.
After each submission deadline, only the submissions that are chosen for the next stage will remain in the competition.
The team can develop their application during each development phase while they are in the competition. If the team does not make it to the next submission stage, no more material can be uploaded to the Ericsson Innovation Award registration site.
All contestants are free to remove their information at any stage of the competition. By doing so the team withdraws from the competition.
If a team that does not go through to the next step keeps their information on the EIA-site, Ericsson has the right to keep the information on the site. Ericsson reserves the right to delete all inappropriate content from the EIA-site. Withdrawing from the competition does not relieve the team from adhering to and accepting these terms and conditions.