The final installment in our History of Mobile Broadband series considers the current and potential future roles of the technology. If our expert contributors are correct, the technology has a very bright future indeed, with life-changing benefits for us all.

Ericsson President and CEO, Hans Vestberg, looks at the impact of smartphones as evidence of how quickly mobile broadband is changing consumer behavior.

He points to research evidence which shows that in just five years there has been a transformation in how subscribers user their mobile phones: from 80 percent of usage time dedicated to voice calls (the remainder comprised of SMS or other functionality) to the current situation among smartphone owners, who dedicate 25 percent of their time to voice calls, and the remaining 75 percent to other usage.

Mike Wright, Executive Director of Networks and Access Technology at Australian operator Telstra, gives an insight into an operator’s perspective on some of the challenges arising from the success of mobile broadband.

He says operators need to meet consumers’ demands for more data and a good user experience, while making a profit.

Contributors point out that we are still in the early stages of the transformative potential of mobile broadband to change lives for the better around the world.

Film contributors are: Hans Vestberg, President and CEO, David Haight, VP Business Development, Emerging Devices, AT&T; Hamadoun Touré, Secretary General, International Telecommunication Union (ITU); Camille Mendler, Principal Analyst, Informa Telecoms and Media; Mike Wright, Executive Director, Networks and Access Technologies, Telstra; Jan Uddenfeldt, Chief Technology Officer, Sony Ericsson; Richard Windsor, Global Technology Specialist, Nomura Bank and Kris Rinne, Senior VP, Architecture and Planning, AT&T.