As video increasingly dominates network traffic, Ericsson (NASDAQ:ERIC) will be at NAB Show 2013, the world's largest electronic media show, to demonstrate how its solutions, services and expertise uniquely enable networks of all kinds to become video-centric and optimized. Demonstrations will show how Ericsson is responding to the major trends that are affecting the TV industry, enabling operators to effectively manage, deliver and monetize the next generation of TV Anywhere services.
The explosion in fixed and mobile data is being driven by the proliferation of video-capable connected devices and the consumer desire to view content anytime, anywhere. Ericsson’s ConsumerLab research shows that 67 percent of consumers said that they use IP-enabled mobile devices for everyday TV viewing. Ericsson is focused on helping operators, broadcasters and content owners to meet the consumer demand for TV Anywhere, accelerate innovation in consumer experiences, and efficiently manage the delivery of video by any network.
"The optimization and management of networks to accommodate the growing amount of video is a key priority for operators and service providers," said Ove Anebygd, Vice President and Head of TV, Ericsson. "At NAB we are demonstrating how we are uniquely positioned, with award-winning solutions and services, to help our customers to monetize content and maximize consumer value as multi-screen meets mobility."
Visitors to booth #SU821 will be able to meet key members of the senior Ericsson team and experience the latest demonstrations of the company’s cutting-edge TV solutions designed to enable efficient video-centric networks and drive service evolution of TV in a multi-screen world. Highlights of the Ericsson booth will include:
Enabling efficient video-centric networks
NAB Show launch of:
- LTE Broadcast – Ericsson’s unique end-to-end broadcast eco-system for video delivery over LTE networks, utilizing a unique combination of three new standards, eMBMS, HEVC and MPEG DASH, to revolutionize video delivery in mobile networks and address growing consumer demand for TV Anywhere services.
- Re-defining the Operator CDN, the new Ericsson Media Delivery Network, which is uniquely designed to unite the delivery of managed and unmanaged content over fixed and mobile networks.
- High performance compression platform, which raises the bar for efficiency and flexibility in the delivery of TV services over all networks. The AVP 4000, powered by Ericsson’s first-ever in-house developed programmable video processing chip, is a unique single platform addressing multiple applications, regardless of codec, resolution or network.
- Ericsson SVP 5500 HEVC encoder, the world’s first HEVC/H.265 encoder for the delivery of linear TV over mobile networks, which greatly reduces bandwidth requirements for current and future services.
There will also be live demonstrations of MPEG-DASH adaptive streaming and Ultra High Definition TV (UHDTV).
Driving the TV service evolution in a multi-screen world
- The NAB Show debut of Ericsson’s market leading OSS/BSS and Service Enablement will show how content and services providers can collaborate in packaging content with quality of service, making the user experience truly relevant, and offering multiple methods of charging.Award winning and cutting-edge Multiscreen TV Solution enabling TV Anywhere experiences, allowing operators to meet consumer demand by delivering rich, blended services on all screens.
- Third generation of Ericsson’s market-leading Content Management System now offers live TV Electronic Programming Guide (EPG) management, as well as time-shifted TV and distribution management and a focus on advanced metadata management.
Ericsson’s Broadcast Services team will also be on-site at NAB, following the company’s 2012 acquisition of the broadcast services division of Technicolor. The team will discuss its leading position in this area, and how the company is enabling broadcasters to meet and manage increasing technological complexity and competition in the TV market.
Notes to editors
Download high-resolution photos and broadcast-quality video at www.ericsson.com/press.
Ericsson is a world-leading provider of communications technology and services. We are enabling the Networked Society with efficient real-time solutions that allow us all to study, work and live our lives more freely, in sustainable societies around the world.
Our offering comprises services, software and infrastructure within Information and Communications Technology for telecom operators and other industries. Today 40 percent of the world's mobile traffic goes through Ericsson networks and we support customers’ networks servicing more than 2.5 billion subscriptions.
We are more than 110,000 people working with customers in more than 180 countries. Founded in 1876, Ericsson is headquartered in Stockholm, Sweden. In 2012 the company’s net sales were SEK 227.8 billion (USD 33.8 billion). Ericsson is listed on NASDAQ OMX, Stockholm and NASDAQ, New York stock exchanges.
For further information, please contact
Ericsson Corporate Public & Media Relations
Phone: +46 10 719 69 92
Ericsson Investor Relations
Phone: +46 10 719 00 00