Wi-Fi Mobility Gateway
The Wi-Fi Mobility Gateway is the combined product which supports both evolved Packet Data Gateway (ePDG) & Trusted Wi-Fi Access Gateway (TWAG) functionality.
The Wi-Fi Mobility Gateway is a high-performance, versatile software product that enables Evolved Packet Core services in untrusted Wi-Fi access, i.e., residential Wi-Fi. Ericsson Wi-Fi Mobility Gateway can be used for session continuity when moving from LTE to untrusted Wi-Fi and vice versa. It ensures the best quality of experience for the mobile subscriber. The Wi-Fi Mobility Gateway also supports trusted Wi-Fi access network integration (TWAG) with 3GPP network for seamless authentication of SIM-based subscribers. This includes S2a for GTPv2 interface between the Wi-Fi Mobility Gateway and PDN GW. The TWAG functionality can also be used for data offloading of 3GPP networks.
To support Wi-Fi calling (Voice over Wi-Fi), Ericsson offers an end-to-end solution based on Evolved Packet Core with the Wi-Fi Mobility Gateway, integration towards Ericsson IP Multimedia Subsystem, Ericsson Mobile Softswitch Solution, Home Subscriber Server and IPWorks. The solution is fully verified towards the smartphone brands that support Wi-Fi calling.
The Wi-Fi Mobility Gateway supports the following opportunities:
- Insufficient cellular network coverage which can be quickly addressed by including untrusted Wi-Fi networks in homes and public places as a part of the operator network
- Small enterprises & homes – replacement of fixed phones (one phone solution)
- Possibility for the operators to counter VoIP apps which today are eroding operator voice revenues
- Seamless mobility between LTE and Wi-Fi networks for Wi-Fi calling
The Wi-Fi Mobility Gateway provides the following values to the operators:
- Increased end user satisfaction (Wi-Fi networks treated as 3GPP networks)
- Improved indoor coverage
- Seamless end user experience when moving between Wi-Fi & 3GPP networks
- Support for trusted & untrusted Wi-Fi consolidated in the Wi-Fi Mobility Gateway
- Fast TTM – the Wi-Fi Mobility Gateway is multi-vendor compliant
- Wi-Fi networks can quickly increase operator network coverage
- Provides the possibility to leverage on installed Wi-Fi infrastructure
- Wi-Fi calling capability attracting new customers
- Enable new business opportunities
Increase network awareness
- Add possibility to tailor-made service offering based on location
- Provides the possibility to get a better understanding of end-user experience
- Provides the possibility to detect poor service quality/device behaviour
Increase network security
- Certification handling ensures security over the internet
- Reduced network vulnerability
- ICR functionality ensures network reliability.
The Wi-Fi Mobility Gateway is integrated with complementary services, e.g., Evolved Packet Gateway, in Ericsson’s SSR 8000 family of products for maximum architectural flexibility, performance and throughput.
The Wi-Fi Mobility Gateway can also be used as a component of Ericsson Network Integrated Wi-Fi full end-to-end solution ensuring the best user experience in mobile broadband.