Ericsson Policy Control s provides solutions to model dynamic behaviour in the network. The dynamic behavior is shaped with a set of predefined actions and policies that enable automated adaptation to dynamic needs. Policies will enforce specific network behaviors and/or specific service delivery configurations based on pre-defined conditions. The network functions included in our Policy Control portfolio are able to adapt decisions in real time related to the following areas:
- PDN session dynamic configuration - Adapts the delivery parameters in the service delivery session to ensure the service is rendering according with subscriber-related category and dynamic conditions.
- Access and mobility dynamic configuration - Includes the control of service area restrictions and management of the access resources (radio frequency selection).
- User equipment dynamic configuration - Allows user equipment to be configured so that it always optimally connected (best slice, best radio technology) to comply with service and operator requirements.
Network resource management:
- Dynamic network slice selection - Selects the best slice based on dynamic network conditions, type of service, and subscriber.
- Network functions control - Controls the network functions that are entering and leaving the operator network and their dynamic status. It controls the way that producers and consumers are connected.
- Network signaling control - Controls overload and failure situations.
Policy Control products encompass three main types of core network elements:
- The Policy Controller that takes decisions on quality of service and access control, based on user equipment, subscribers, services, and consumed quota.
- The Slice Selection Controller that decides how to allocate network slices to terminals, subscribers, and services.
- The Network Function Controller that controls the status of network functions within the service-based architecture (SBA) in 5GC. It decides how to connect consumers with service providers based on the status of different network functions.
Service Aware Policy Controller (SAPC) and Cloud Core Policy Controller (CCPC)
The Policy Controller is included in SAPC (Service Aware Policy Controller) and CCPC (Cloud Core Policy Controller) Ericsson products. SAPC is the virtualized version while CCPC is the containerized version, including both PCRF (Policy and Charging Rules Function, for 2G/3G/4G) and PCF (Policy Control Function for 5G). Both of them are based on the leading Ericsson SAPC product. SAPC product includes EPC-NSSF (early slice selection based on GW selection), A-PCRF (radio-frequency selection), PCRF (session management policies). CCPC includes AM-PCF for access and mobility control and SM-PCF for session-management control.
CCRC (Cloud Core Resource Controller)
The Network Function Controller and the Slice Selection Controller are included in CCRC (Cloud Core Resource Controller) Ericsson product. They include the Network Slice Selection Function (NSSF) and the Network Repository Function (NRF). These two Network Functions have been recently defined by the 3GPP standard and they are new key elements in 5G Core (Stand-Alone) system. The NRF is the heart of the service-based architecture (SBA) since it keeps track of the status for service consumers and providers and control how to connect them. The NSSF deals with the slicing dimension allowing the right placement of a concrete service for a concrete subscriber within the 5GC network. The management of slicing in the network is a key new feature in 5GC.
OUR KEY BENEFITS
- Dynamic slice selection based on status of network resources (such as overload) or based on service level to be delivered (such as quality of service).
- API-driven policy enforcement for advanced closed loops.
- Automatic on-boarding of new network functions based on the status of network resources.
Optimal use of network resources:
- Access, mobility and subscriber sessions are configured in the optimal way to save resources and provide services according to needs.
- Service producers are connected with service consumers in the optimal way.
Great service delivery:
- Network slices are selected in the way that maximizes the service experience.
- Network faults and any necessary reconfiguration are handled with the least disruption to the network.
Our range of products
The commercial realization of a centralized policy controller for 5G and legacy networks.
Provides automated resource control in the network, resources include NFs, NF services and slices.
Component for Broadband Networks as Evolved Packet Core and Mobile Telephony Evolution with VoLTE.