Unlocking industrial use case opportunities at 5G-Industry Campus Europe
Launching the 5G-Industry Campus with Fraunhofer Institute for Production Technology (IPT) has made it possible to run the largest 5G research network in Europe. The campus offers joint research opportunities to companies and research partners to explore 5G technology for creating and running various applications.
- The launch of the 5G-Industry Campus Europe, will allow Ericsson and Fraunhofer IPT to jointly explore together with interested companies and research partners further areas in which 5G can be applied to improve productivity and efficiencies in manufacturing.
- As being Europe’s largest industrial 5G research network, the outdoor private networks at RWTH Aachen University in Germany cover an area of about 1km sq. Its indoor private networks cover an area of almost 7,000m sq.
- 5G-Industry Campus Europe will investigate application scenarios in the field of production, covering topics like 5G sensors for monitoring and controlling highly complex manufacturing processes, mobile robotics, logistics and multisite production chains.
In 2019, Fraunhofer IPT selected Ericsson as its private 5G networks supplier to set up a regional 5G research network, enabling them to launch the “5G-Industry Campus Europe” research project. With the network now activated, industries and other partners have access to collectively study the practical applications of 5G.
The 5G research network opens up possibilities to create smart factories; transform the production of goods, their manufacturing and delivery, and connect warehouses with 5G powered IoT that completely overhauls their operations, making it agile, efficient, and ready to step into Industry 4.0.
Industries needed a practical solution to move up to the next stage of the revolution: One that offers high precision during production, machine-to-machine communication, high data transfers, and the possibility to digitally transform their productivity and performance from the ground up.
The 5G research network operating with the following performance and feature criteria in order to enable existing and next generation industrial use-cases:
- 5G outdoor network of 1 km² at the RWTH Aachen Campus
- 5G-NSA (non-standalone) running at 3,7-3,8 GHz
- Simultaneous 4G network at 2,3 GHz as anchor band
- Data rates up to 10 Gbit/s
- Latency times below 1ms
- Operate numerous devices simultaneously in tightly defined radio cells
The Ericsson powered 5G research network offers limitless possibilities for industries, companies, and research partners to transform factories and warehouses. Housed inside the 5G-Industry Campus, the research network offers next-generation services and use-cases such as:
- Automated, wireless real-time process control
- Access to real-time data regardless of the location
- Quality data linked with process data
- Transmission of large datasets
- Improved precision and timing in machine cooperation
- A safer production environment.
"This is where we create the future for innovative production. Joining companies and research partners, we are creating a completely new infrastructure with the 5G-Industry Campus Europe, where we can test and try out different 5G applications in production and logistics. This will completely redefine the previous requirements for the industries”
Niels König, leading and coordinating the project on behalf of the Fraunhofer IPT
About Fraunhofer IPT
The Fraunhofer Institute for Production Technology, or Fraunhofer IPT, develops systems solutions for production. They focus on topics such as process technology, production machines, production quality and metrology, and technology management.
Fraunhofer IPT’s clientele and cooperation partners represent multiple industry verticals, from aerospace technology to the automotive industry and its suppliers as well as tool and die making companies and the precision mechanics, optics and machine tool industries in particular.
- Ericsson press release - Ericsson and Fraunhofer IPT launch 5G-Industry Campus Europe
- Unlock the value of Industry 4.0
- News on 5G-Industry campus Europe - Merkel and Löfven hear about the benefits of industrial 5G research