Ericsson sign IP core network and systems integration contract with Cable & Wireless Jamaica

Press release
Jul 02, 2008 15:00 (GMT +00:00)
Cable & Wireless Jamaica has chosen Ericsson (NASDAQ:ERIC) as its long-term strategic business partner to upgrade and expand its network. Under the three-year agreement, Ericsson will be the Systems Integrator to transform Cable & Wireless' core network to a next-generation IP network, deploying Ericsson Mobile Softswitch and Mobile Packet Backbone Network solutions, as well as Ericsson Multi Mediation platform.

As a strategic business partner, Ericsson will provide Cable & Wireless with systems integration services while facilitating the launch of a wide range of new and innovative next-generation broadband multimedia services, underpinning Cable & Wireless' subscriber demands.

Phil Green, President and CEO of Cable & Wireless Jamaica, says: "With strong partnerships in the UK, Panama and Macau, Cable & Wireless aims to strengthen its position in the Caribbean market. By taking advantage of Ericsson's expertise in systems integration and next-generation IP broadband networks, we are set to launch a range of innovative mobile services for our customers."

Niklas Heuveldop, President of Ericsson Central America and Caribbean, says: "We are proud to extend our partnership with Cable & Wireless in the dynamic Caribbean market. This partnership will help them to reduce its core-network operating expenses and it represents the first step towards an efficient and converged all-IP core network."

Ericsson's Systems Integration organization delivers more than 1000 systems-integration projects per year in multivendor and multi-technology environments. Projects range from single-solution integration projects to end-to-end solution transformation projects.

Ericsson is the world's leading provider of technology and services to telecom operators. The market leader in 2G and 3G mobile technologies, Ericsson supplies communications services and manages networks that serve more than 195 million subscribers. The company's portfolio comprises mobile and fixed network infrastructure, and broadband and multimedia solutions for operators, enterprises and developers. The Sony Ericsson joint venture provides consumers with feature-rich personal mobile devices.
Ericsson is advancing its vision of 'communication for all' through innovation, technology, and sustainable business solutions. Working in 175 countries, more than 70,000 employees generated revenue of USD 27.9 billion (SEK 188 billion) in 2007. Founded in 1876 and headquartered in Stockholm, Sweden, Ericsson is listed on OMX Nordic Exchange Stockholm and NASDAQ.
For more information, visit or

About Cable & Wireless
Cable & Wireless Jamaica is the island's leading provider of national and international fixed-line services. Cable & Wireless Jamaica remains the island's only full service provider, guaranteeing business and residential customers reliable, tailored solutions in mobile and fixed voice, data, IP (internet protocol) and broadband services, as well as services to other telecoms providers. The company is owned 82 percent by Cable & Wireless plc with the other 18 percent being owned by members of the public.


Ericsson Media Relations
Phone: +46 8 719 69 92