Ericsson Australia - Privacy Statement
Rights in relation to privacy
Ericsson Australia Pty Ltd ACN 004 071 854 (Ericsson) understands the importance of protecting the privacy of an individual's personal information. This statement sets out how Ericsson aims to protect the privacy of personal information it manages, rights in relation to personal information managed by Ericsson and the way Ericsson collects, holds, uses and discloses personal information.
In handling personal information, Ericsson will comply with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act) and with the 13 Australian Privacy Principles in the Privacy Act.
This privacy statement may be updated from time to time.
Why does Ericsson need personal information?
Ericsson collects, holds, uses and discloses personal information where it is reasonably necessary for the purposes of:
- providing, promoting, developing and supporting Ericsson's information and communication technology products and services to mobile and fixed network operators within a range of industries and on a global scale;
- identifying, developing and facilitating business opportunities and relationships;
- identifying and informing our customers of products and services from Ericsson, or of selected third parties, that may be of interest to our customers;
- accounting, billing and other internal administrative purposes;
- recruiting staff or engaging contractors or consultants; or
- any other legal requirements.
Where personal information is used or disclosed, Ericsson takes steps reasonable in the circumstances to ensure it is relevant to the purpose for which it is used or disclosed. Where Ericsson requests personal information directly from an individual, there is no obligation on that individual to provide the personal information to Ericsson. However, without certain information from an individual, Ericsson may not be able to provide its products and/or services.
What kinds of personal information does Ericsson collect?
Personal information is information or an opinion about an identified, or reasonably identifiable, individual. During the provision of its products and services, Ericsson may collect personal information.
Generally, the kinds of personal information Ericsson may collect include, to the extent it is reasonably necessary for Ericsson to provide its products or services:
- contact and identification information such as name, address, telephone number, email address and date of birth; and
- personal information about a relevant account in connection with which Ericsson provides services.
In some circumstances Ericsson may also hold other personal information provided to Ericsson in connection with the provision of its products and services.
How does Ericsson collect personal information?
Ericsson may collect personal information:
- directly from individuals through exchanges with Ericsson whether verbally or in writing and whether the information is provided in person or via email, telephone, post or other means;
- from an individual's service provider, including through Ericsson's access to the service provider's database or network, for the purpose of Ericsson providing services or otherwise fulfilling its contractual obligations to the service provider;
- from an individual's employer or colleague for the purposes of facilitating and developing a relationship between Ericsson and the individual's employer; or
- from other sources such as from an information services provider or a publicly maintained record.
Generally, Ericsson will only collect personal information from sources other than the individual if it is unreasonable or impracticable to collect the personal information from the individual directly.
To whom does Ericsson disclose personal information?
Ericsson discloses personal information for the purpose for which Ericsson collects it. That is, generally, Ericsson will only disclose personal information for a purpose set out at paragraph 2. This may include disclosing personal information to customers, professional advisors, suppliers or other third parties engaged to perform administrative or other business management services. This disclosure is always on a confidential basis or otherwise in accordance with law. Ericsson may also disclose personal information with the individual's consent or if disclosure is required or authorised by law.
Ericsson may disclose personal information to overseas recipients within Ericsson's global network in order to provide its services and/or products on a global scale and for administrative or other business management purposes. It is not practicable to list every country in which such recipients will be located, however it is likely to include Sweden.
Before disclosing any personal information to an overseas recipient, Ericsson takes steps reasonable in the circumstances to ensure the overseas recipient complies with the Australian Privacy Principles or is bound by a substantially similar privacy scheme, unless Ericsson obtains consent to the disclosure or it is otherwise required or permitted by law.
Ericsson may use and disclose personal information in order to inform interested persons or entities of products and services or to facilitate its business relationships. Individuals can opt-out of receiving such communications by contacting Ericsson via the contact details set out in paragraph 10 or through any opt-out mechanism contained in a marketing communication.
Security of personal information
Ericsson takes steps reasonable in the circumstances to ensure that the personal information it holds is protected from misuse, interference and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. Ericsson holds personal information in both hard copy and electronic forms in secure databases on secure premises, accessible only by authorised staff.
Ericsson will destroy or de-identify personal information in circumstances where it is no longer required, unless Ericsson is otherwise required or authorised by law to retain the information.
Can an individual access and correct the personal information that Ericsson holds about them?
Ericsson takes steps reasonable in the circumstances to ensure personal information it holds is accurate, up-to-date, complete, relevant and not misleading. Individuals can access and seek correction of their personal information that is collected and held by Ericsson, or otherwise request more information on Ericsson's approach to privacy, by contacting Ericsson via the contact details set out in paragraph 10 below. Ericsson will grant access to the extent required or authorised by the Privacy Act or other law and take steps reasonable in the circumstances to correct personal information where necessary and appropriate.
To provide access to personal information, Ericsson:
- requests proof of identity to ensure that personal information is provided only to the correct individuals and that the privacy of others is protected;
- requests reasonably specific details about the information required; and
- may charge a reasonable administration fee, which reflects the cost to Ericsson for providing access in accordance with a request.
If Ericsson refuses a request for access to, or correction of, personal information, Ericsson will provide written reasons for the refusal and details of complaint mechanisms. Ericsson will also take steps reasonable in the circumstances to provide access in a manner that meets the needs of the individual making the request and the needs of Ericsson.
Ericsson will endeavour to respond to a request for access to, or correction of, personal information within 30 days from receiving the request.
How to contact us
For further information or enquiries regarding Ericsson's handling of personal information, or to opt-out of receiving any promotional communications, Ericsson's Privacy Compliance Officer can be contacted at:
Ericsson Australia Pty Ltd
Att: Ericsson Privacy Compliance Officer
Melbourne, VIC 3001.
Privacy complaints should be directed to Ericsson's Privacy Compliance Officer. At all times, privacy complaints:
- will be treated seriously;
- will be dealt with promptly;
- will be dealt with in a confidential manner; and
- will not affect any existing obligations to, or commercial arrangements with, Ericsson.