Ericsson to host and manage push e-mail service for Spice Telecom in India

Press release
Jun 19, 2007 07:30 (GMT +00:00)
Ericsson (NASDAQ: ERIC) has been selected by Indian operator Spice Telecom to provide push e-mail and personal information management services via its hosted enterprise solution.
The push e-mail solution provides users with easy-to-use secure, real-time access to e-mail and personal information via a wide variety of mobile devices.

It enables quick and easy access to e-mails, contacts and calendar functions while on the move. E-mails are delivered wirelessly in real-time and all activities, such as writing, deleting or sending messages, are instantaneously reflected in the subscriber's account. Installation and maintenance of the e-mail solution are designed to be as simple and straightforward as possible, offering low total cost of ownership.

Under the agreement, Ericsson will provide hosting, systems integration and day-to-day management of the service.

Mr Prakash Nanani, CEO, Spice Telecom, says: "Spice believes in launching cutting edge mobile applications and Spice Push mail service is another such service. We are proud to offer push e-mail to our customers, enabling them to have full control over their e-mail, whether in the office or on the move. This service will enable the consumer to access an e-mail solution that is useful, fast, secure, simple and cost-efficient. What is more is that customers don't need to have any particular handset, as the service is not handset dependent, and shall work on most handsets that support GPRS. We expect this to help Spice to broad base the reach of email service to the masses."

Mats Granryd, President, Ericsson India, says: "Operators are increasingly positioning mobile push e-mail solutions beyond the professional segment, moving into the mass-consumer domain. Hosting is a proven business model that meets operators' growing needs to quickly and cost-efficiently launch new multimedia services for both business segment and the consumer."

Ericsson is shaping the future of Mobile and Broadband Internet communications through its continuous technology leadership. Providing innovative solutions in more than 140 countries, Ericsson is helping to create the most powerful communication companies in the world.
Ericsson Media Relations
Phone: +46 8 719 6992
About Spice Telecom
Spice Telecom, the brand name of Spice Communications Limited is presently operating Cellular Phone Services in the states of Punjab and Karnataka in India. Spice has over 3 Million customers, as on 31st May 2007, and is considered as one of the best service providers of mobile telephony in India. Spice brand is positioned as a youthful & vibrant brand, and has many firsts to its credit, such as: Background Music & Incoming Call Block.
Spice Telecom has been promoted by Modi Wellvest Private Limited. Telekom Malaysia Berhad (TM) has 49% stake in Spice Communications Limited (Spice) through TMI India Limited, a wholly-owned subsidiary of TM's international investment holding company TM International Sdn Bhd (TMI). The remaining 51% is with Modi Wellvest Private Limited, the promoter company. Spice Communications Ltd is proposing to make a public issue of securities and has filed a Draft Red Herring Prospectus with SEBI. The DRHP is available on SEBI website, as well as the BRLM's website,
For more information on Telekom Malaysia, please visit
For more information on Spice visit

About Ericsson's Managed Services offering
Ericsson has the telecom industry's most comprehensive offering for managed services, ranging from designing, building, operating and managing day-to-day operations of a customer's network, to hosting service applications and enablers, as well as providing network coverage and capacity on demand. As the undisputed leader in managed services, Ericsson has officially announced more than 100 contracts for managed services with operators worldwide since 2002. In all current contracts for managed services, excluding hosting, Ericsson is managing networks that together serve more than 120 million subscribers.