Telia: BSS/OSS for automated 5G digital service delivery
Telia enacted an ambitious digital transformation to unify operations in six Nordic and Baltic countries and automate the delivery of new 5G digital services on centralized technology platforms using Business and Operations Support Systems from Ericsson
This digital transformation is enabling Telia to improve its marketing and sales functions end-to-end, including service ordering, fulfillment, management, and orchestration. It simplifies operational decision-making and harmonizes future product rollouts. It promotes software and configuration reuse for standardization and positive CAPEX benefits.
“It’s not only about creating an excellent template of a five year-long plan and executing, we are co-inventing as we go along.”
- Marek Rejmer, CIO, Telia
Telia embarked upon an ambitious mission to transform its Business and Operations Support Systems to support a new digital service ecosystem designed to deliver optimal service quality.
Telia’s legacy IT systems needed to evolve to deliver its next generation 5G digital services.
The transformation goal is to unify six different countries’ operations, standardizing, and harmonizing processes and products on centralized technology platforms.
With Ericsson, Telia implemented Business and Operations Support Systems (core commerce, orchestration). Together, this drives an end-to-end architecture capable of flawless service delivery, establishing a centralized catalog as a ‘single point of truth’ for product, service and resource definitions and enabling zero touch automation across order to activation.
With automated and cloud-based orchestration, this target architecture, spanning six countries, sets a new standard for tasks like product ordering, fulfilment, and core commerce management.
The transformation also aligns with TM Forum’s industry standards, including Open Design Architecture (ODA), Open APIs, process framework (eTOM) and information framework (SID).
Read the TM Forum case study: Telia’s OSS/BSS evolution toward 5G digital service delivery
Core commerce and orchestration | TM Forum aligned | “Cloud first” approach
This transformation is ongoing, its central tenets are:
- Rapid delivery of personalized digital services to Telia’s customer base:
- 18.3 million mobile subscribers,
- 1 million fixed voice customers,
- 2.9 million broadband users, and
- 3.4 million TV customers.
- Centralized catalog enabling faster activation, and a better overall customer experience
- Zero touch automation from order to activation
- Full-service assurance using data-driven operations
- Simplified operational decision-making for the group
- Centralized technology platforms with simplified interoperability enabling more responsive product roll-outs and delivery