The Dutch Ministry of Infrastructure and Environment set out to maximize traffic flow on existing roads, rails and waterways while avoiding costly investments in new infrastructure. They decided to utilize the cloud and IoT to build a national Intelligent Vehicles and Road Infrastructure (IVRI) system.
Supporting sustainability goals
- First government-led project to create a national ITS solution
- We helped roll out a cloud-based solution in 6 months time
- 25% of all traffic lights nationwide connected so far
- 10% less road congestion during peak hours
“The innovative Connected Urban Transport solution is a win for the entire traffic ecosystem and its users in the Netherlands.”
- Ben Kessels, Account Manager Customer Group Industry & Society, Ericsson Netherlands