SON Optimization Manager
Self-Organizing Networks (SON) are a critical enabler for the widespread deployment of mobile broadband technologies. Network complexity is increasing all the time and functionalities like self-configuring, self-optimizing and self-healing functions are now indispensable for running a modern mobile network. Multiple standards and an expanding ecosystem of equipment providers need the automation of as much network planning, design, build and optimization as possible.
Ericsson’s SON philosophy is a hybrid SON solution to optimize the network where is makes the most use.
A lot of the SON functionalities as described in the standard are today performed in our radio networks directly by the network elements.
For functionality that requires a more centralized view i.e. more information we have a suite of tools to solve perform the optimization. Ericsson SON Optimization Manager together with Ericsson Network Manager and Network IQ is delivering the full suite.
SON Optimization manager is the product that orchestrates the centralized and distributed SON functionalities. Today we support different use cases for both 3G and 4G, both for Ericsson networks and for multi-vendor.
The optimization is done in such a way that we make the most use of the functionality already available in the radio network. Only Ericsson can do that for Ericsson networks.
Improve Network Performance and Reduced OPEX
Ericsson SON Optimization Manager addresses some of the key SON use cases; collecting performance and configuration data, analyzing and processing it and automatically adjusting network configuration parameters. This can be done either as a closed- or open-loop manner.
Operation is autonomous. The system runs continuously and requires no manual intervention once setup and configured. There are several proofs that this is delivering improved network performance and direct OPEX savings as their routine optimization tasks are automated.
Examples of use cases implemented in Ericsson SON Optimization Manager are:
- Automated cell outage compensation will compensate a cell outage from surrounding cells to provide lost coverage. This is of great use in daily situation and has also been proven during extreme situations like natural disasters.
- Automated VoLTE optimization creates the perfect balance between mobile broadband and VoLTE support.
- LTE RET is used to adjust Remote Electrical Tilt antennas to optimize radio performance
- Centralized Automatic Neighbor Relations (C-ANR) for 3G and 4G automates the optimization of cellular network neighbor relations. A radio environment in constant flux needs continuous monitoring for missing or unmonitored neighbors, and for priority rankings. C-ANR prevents most dropped calls due to missing neighbors. Field results show a dropped call rate (DCR) improvement of up to 20%.
- 3G and 4G Coverage & Capacity Optimization and Centralized Mobility Load Balance (CCLB) are separate but complementary features. Nearly 30 cell and neighbor relation parameters are continuously optimized to get the best possible balance between quality, coverage and capacity.
The SON Optimization Manager uses multi-vendor and multi-technology modules which mediate centralize read and write access to the network. Analysis of the complex network data uses field proven algorithms to determine the next best step for implementation in the network. Our step-wise approach assures that your network is always running at its best.
SON Optimization Manager is a great step forward in how to get the best from your network assets.
Our highly scalable architecture can serve from the smallest to the largest of networks. New use cases are easily introduced as needs change.
Users can configure different use cases, at different times, in different parts of the network, depending on network conditions and requirements.
The modular structure allows easy adaptation for multiple technologies and vendors.