Ericsson Cloud SDN is a software-defined networking solution that provides seamless intra-datacenter connectivity for virtual and physical, workloads in a telecom cloud.
It is a unique combination of our industrialized version of the multi-protocol and modular OpenDaylight platform paired with advanced routing capabilities of our design.
It provides network automation services to VNF workloads as part of our NFVI solution.
OUR KEY BENEFITS
The design of Ericsson Cloud SDN follows the ETSI architecture and uses open source components including OpenDaylight and OVS. We are one of the leading contributors to both projects, and we integrate our SDN software with OpenStack using standard APIs.
Automated Network Deployment
The automation in our cloud SDN reduces the need for manually creating custom network configurations when you onboard a VNF. Instead, our automated processes configure the optimal network configuration for each VNF automatically. Our cloud SDN solution offers layer 2/3 services to VNFs, resulting in lower opex, capex, and shorter time-to-market.
Because we integrate with OpenStack, our cloud SDN benefits from its lifecycle management and deployment automation capabilities.
We hardened our cloud SDN solution to provide the level of high availability, robustness, performance, security, and operational efficiency required for telecom deployments. We tested and verified its operation as part of a complete NFVI solution with real-world, operational VNFs. As we learn more from our commercial deployments, we continuously integrate and deploy product improvements to our existing customers through regular updates.
- XL Axiata to deploy Ericsson 5G-ready cloud core technology
- Liberty Latin America selects Ericsson for major network evolution
- China Telecom and China Unicom select Ericsson 5G
- Ericsson selected as China Mobile 5G RAN and core network vendor
- Ericsson chosen in Altice Portugal for fixed Telephony
- Erillisverkot Finland chooses Ericsson 5G Core for next-generation public safety network
- SmarTone selects Ericsson’s 5G to power digitalization in Hong Kong
- Ericsson’s 5G platform adds unique core and business communication capabilities (Ericsson Cloud Native Infrastructure launch)
- Ericsson to modernize Telekom Albania core and radio networks
- Ericsson and Telstra achieve container-based commercial Evolved Packet Core milestone
- Bharti Airtel selects Ericsson’s 5G-ready Cloud Packet Core to boost network performance
- Ericsson launches enhanced 5G deployment options (Ericsson Edge NFVI launch)
- Telkomsel Indonesia to deploy Ericsson core in preparation for 5G
- Telekom Srbija and Ericsson go live with Core network virtualized functions
- Mobily deploys Ericsson full stack Telecom Cloud
- Telefónica presents an innovative way to broadcast and produce television with 5G
- Telecom Egypt and Ericsson go live with 5G Cloud Core Network
- Ericsson and Intel jointly develop next-generation software defined infrastructure for the 5G era
- Ericsson and Panasonic Avionics bringing connectivity to the skies with 5G-ready platform
- Ericsson and Swisscom get 5G ready for business
- Ericsson to transform Wind Tre core network in Italy
- Melita chooses Ericsson as strategic 5G partner
- Ericsson to automate Cloud Execution Environment (CEE) for NTT DOCOMO
- Eastlink upgrades VoLTE services with Ericsson in Canada
- Ericsson to modernize and manage TELE-POST’s network in Greenland
- Entel extends network partnership towards 5G with Ericsson
- Ericsson and Swisscom go live with Telco cloud
- Ericsson and Telkomcel launch 4G services in Timor Leste
- Zain Iraq to deploy Ericsson virtual EPC
- Telstra advances cloud media delivery
- Ericsson and Cisco to virtualize Vodafone Hutchison Australia's core and IP network
2016 and earlier
- Tampnet selects Ericsson for LTE and virtualized core network
- Ericsson adds cloud capabilities to accelerate LG Uplus transition to NFV and SDN
- Telefonica selects Ericsson for global UNICA program
- Swisscom selects Ericsson for telco cloud infrastructure and NFV of core network functions
- Telstra deploys Ericsson Telecom Cloud in full stack
- SoftBank deploys Ericsson virtual MME and Ericsson Cloud Platform
- Ericsson and Telefónica deploy first cloud-based VoLTE in Colombia
- Ericsson selected as solution partner for Network Virtualization platform and Cloud Manager by NTT DOCOMO
The NFVI deployments of telecom operators must support a diverse set of applications, including VNFs, OSS/BSS applications, and operator IT applications.
We included cloud SDN in our NFVI solution so that its automation capabilities would result in shorter service activation times and fewer human errors in these common NFVI operations:
- Datacenter network configuration
- Orchestrating network security for tenants, virtual machines.
- Establishing connectivity between legacy bare-metal services and the virtual infrastructure
- Support for multiple networking technologies such as layer 2/3 virtual private networks (VPN).
Ericsson Cloud SDN is built on OpenDaylight and Open vSwitch, which helps us benefit from an ecosystem with industry-wide participation.
The architecture of Ericsson Cloud SDN combines a centralized routing control plane in the cloud SDN controller with distributed forwarding planes in the cloud SDN switch. This combination provides these key technical capabilities:
- Full routing capabilities and high performance virtual switching
- Overlay networking solution for distributed datacenter and hybrid clouds
- Seamless interworking with enterprise and service provider BGP/VPN & IP/MPLS WAN infrastructures
- Open integration with industry-standard datacenter fabrics and switches.